gm. Stegna, pow. nowodworski, woj. pomorskie
Until 1945 Freienhuben Freuenhuben (Endersch), Schrötter)
In the Mddle Ages, the Izbiska area was situated in the borderland of the Teutonic Knights’ and ¦więtopełek’s lands, on the bank of the then main outlet of the Vistula - Szkarpawa to the Vistula Lagoon. The village of Izbiska was granted the privileges in the 14th century. A river crossing was located nearby. The village was destroyed during the siege of the fortress Gdańska Głowa. The village was re-established in 1641 by Dutch settlers. The sources from 1734/37 mentioned Aspen, Beigen, Boschke, Brun, Daden, Dawidt, Foht, Fretz, Harder, Hobge, Hildebrand, Hinrich, Kestner, Knak, Kohn, van Riesen, Tewes, Tiessen, and Wőlke. In 1820, the village had 277 Catholics and Lutherans and 31 Mennonites. The 1868 petition was signed by the farm owner J. van Bergen and other van Bergen - a steward.
Village layout - flood bank row village located on the western side of a local canal.
The cultural landscape is in decline. Out of 16 wooden buildings that were still present in 1990s, only several remained. The cultural landscape includes: an arcaded house, masonry buildings, including an old inn from the end of the 19th century and a school from 1920, homestead and field layout, and some old trees surrounding homesteads.
No. 1 is a house from a Dutch homestead of the longitudinal
type. The farming section (demolished) was separated from the house by a
fire wall. The building is located in the western section of the village,
on the northern side of the road, facing it with its ridge; it dates from
the 2nd quarter of the 19th century. It has a stone foundation,
corner-notched log structure with quoins covered by carved boards, and a
high roof covered by asbestos tiles. There is also a half-timbered/brick
granary in the eastern section of the homestead.
No. 12 is an
arcaded house located in the northern side of the road leading to
colonies. The building faces the east. It dates from 1778 and was erected
by an owner with the initials E.B. and was rebuilt in 1876. Before 1945,
the house belonged to A.H. Boschk. The building has a brick foundation, a
log structure with dovetail joints and covered quoins. The gables have a
vertically boarded tenon-post structure. A half-timbered extension with
decorative Fachwerk is located on the eastern side. It is filled with
yellow Dutch brick and supported on half-timbered walls and 6 columns. The
building has a queen post - purlin roof structure with two collar beams.
The roof is covered by pantiles, which rest on a board frame. The interior
has a 2-bay layout with a wider eastern bay and the large room located in
the southeastern corner, a black kitchen in the eastern bay, and a
C-shaped hallway (transformed). The southern elevation has 3 axes (4 axes
in the bottom) with two windows enclosed by quarter circular small windows
and a semicircular window above. The eastern elevation has 7 axes with an
arcade supported by 6 pillars located in 3 central axes.
homestead includes a brick, 2-story granary.
No. 13 is a house
situated in the northern section of the village, on the western side of a
local canal that runs along the east-west ridge. The building was erected
in 1886 in place of an older building. Until 1947, it belonged to I.
Penner (committed suicide after his daughter were murdered by Soviet army
soldiers; they were buried next to the servant Dyck, who was murdered by a
Polish policeman). The building has a brick underpinning, a corner notched
structure with quoins covered by boards imitating pilaster, and a low
pointing sill. There is a half-timbered extension on the southern side. It
is supported by 4 frontal pillars and 2 side Corinthian pillars made of
cast iron. The gables are vertically boarded. The house has a queen post -
purlin roof structure with an angle brace and asbestos tile roofing. The
interior has a two-bay layout with a slightly wider southern bay and 2
large rooms. There is a decorative hallway in the northern bay leading to
3 rooms and the kitchen. The hallway has a stairway leading to the attic.
In the western side of the house, there is a rectangular hallway with a
vestibule and the second stairway to the attic. The corridor separates the
residential section, a smokehouse, and utility rooms. The western
elevation has 3 axes and a two-level gable with 4 axes in the bottom
section. There are two windows enclosed by rectangular small windows and a
narrow window above. The southern elevation is symmetrical and has 7 axes
with a 3-axial centrally located arcaded extension. Rich furnishings,
stoves, door frames, and architectural details (e.g. fretwork in gables)
have survived. The barn was erected in 1734 and it is the oldest building
in the homestead no. ... in Izbiska. Until 1945, it belonged to Penner.
Originally, the barn was longer and had 2 or even 3 threshing floors. In
1970s, it was shortened and lowered by ca. 2 m. Also, the upper section of
the roof was transformed. The rafters were replaced and a thatched roof
was replaced by asbestos tiles. The barn has a half-timbered structure
with crosswise trestles, 5 pillars, and 3 levels of spandrel beams. Logs
are connected by mortise and tenon joints reinforced with wrought nails
and bolts. The barn rests on brick and stone (glacial erratics)
foundation. The walls are vertically boarded with slats. The barn has a
rectangular layout and currently has one threshing floor, two mows - the
large one (with a semicircle on a southern side) is located on the eastern
Penner, s. 72; Lipińska, t. III, poz. 240, AG ; MP.